Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Schwarzenegger on Eunice Kennedy Shriver: She Changed My Life


Take a look at Schwarzenegger's speech on Eunice Kennedy Shriver. He talks about how much she changed his life. Eunice died Tuesday morning at the age of 88.

“Eunice was the light of our family. She meant so much, not only to us, but to our country and to the world. She was a pioneer who worked tirelessly for social and scientific advances that have changed the lives of millions of developmentally disabled people all over the world. Inspired by her faith in God and her love of her sister, Rosemary, she was on a life-long mission to expand opportunities for those with intellectual challenges and to prove that they are capable of great achievements. Apart from her family, her greatest legacy is the Special Olympics, which started as a summer camp in her backyard in 1962, and has grown into a global movement and organization that has transformed the lives of hundreds of millions of people. Eunice was the devoted mother of five children, including my dear wife, Maria. My mother-in-law changed my life by raising such a fantastic daughter, and by putting me on the path to service, starting with drafting me as a coach for the Special Olympics. I will miss her every day, but I know her spirit endures through her amazing children and grandchildren, and through the many lives she changed.”

Arnold Schwarzenegger on Eunice Kennedy Shriver
August 11th, 2009

 


Powered by Blogger Subscribe in a reader