Friday, July 17, 2009

Brett Favre and Deadline


Vikings coach Brad Childress went on a Minneapolis radio station this morning and said there is no deadline for a Brett Favre decision.

Yes, the Vikings are interested in the retired quarterback, but other than that, nothing is official. We have not heard from Favre -- yet his agent, Bus Cook, tells us his client is retired. ESPN has reported that Favre underwent surgery to repair damage in his throwing shoulder and was given a deadline of the end of this week to officially return.

"Absolutely not," Childress said on KFAN when asked about a deadline. "Maybe by Deanna [Favre] or somebody like that, but certainly not from me. Not even close. Don't know where that would have dropped out of the sky from."

But we all know Favre is coming back, or at least seems to want to come back. When that actually happens, we don't know. It will be on Favre's time, though, not Childress'.

"I don't know, I'm not into predicting the future," Childress said. "We'll just have to see what's around the corner tomorrow."

Childress said he's excited about the possibility of seeing Favre in action. Whether Favre underwent surgery or not doesn't matter -- how he looks come late July is the issue.

As for the quarterbacks currently battling for Minnesota's starting role, Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels, Childress said he's spoken to both players and isn't worried about them.

"Do they like any of the conversation? Absolutely not," Childress said. "But they know this: I'm charged with adding and subtracting players from this team to make us better. There's not a day that I don't try to look and see if we can get better at some position."

Childress seems upset with media reports speculating about the Vikings' thinking in regard to Favre. One day he's not coming back, another day he's getting surgery, another day there's a deadline. It's always something.

"It's really not my job to comment on erroneous things," Childress said. "I don't have time to do that. I can sit and laugh at it and wonder how responsible that is. I simply don't have time to do that. I'm on my way driving into work here so I'm captured here, but when I get done with this, I'm done."

 


Powered by Blogger Subscribe in a reader